2020 Celebration of the Night
Invitation to host a Night Visions Satellite Exhibit
More than two-thirds of Americans live where they can no longer see the Milky Way galaxy because of. We have grown so isolated from night that in much of our culture it has become alien and fearful. NightVisions seeks to re-open our positive connections to the natural night and to bridge the divide separating artistic from scientific perception, promoting the idea that science and art are two intertwined aspects of human experience.
Since 2001, the Flagstaff Dark Skies Coalition () in collaboration with the Coconino Center for the Arts and the Flagstaff Arts Council has produced seven Celebrations of the Night, most recently in April/May 2019. Beginning 2020 the Coalition is moving forward with plans to hold the Celebration every autumn, in conjunction with the highly successful Flagstaff Star Party every fall and combined with the NightVisions juried art exhibit every other year. As initiated in 2019, we would like to continue to include NightVisions Satellite exhibits every year in collaboration with our local retail galleries. We are offering an opportunity for you and your gallery to participate in the 2020 Celebration of the Night through artwork of any medium related to the night.
What you do:
Commit a portion of your venue or gallery to art consistent with the NightVisions theme (above), to be on display during September and October 2020. We ask for a minimum of 10 pieces. The will announce its participation as a NightVisions Satellite exhibit utilizing a 11×17 poster that will be provided by, as well as small tags posted next to each participating piece. Artwork in your gallery can be available for retail sale as any other items in your gallery, but if the exhibit becomes significantly depleted before mid-October we ask that additional pieces be installed.
- Provide copy material for a brochure that will be used to promote your exhibit on-line and at Celebration events (see flagstaffdarkskies.org/2020-celebration-night). Material should include at least one image, and the name of your gallery, address, and hours. Optional material would include the names of featured artists or pieces, and media (e.g. photography, ceramic, painting). This material will also appear on the Coalition webpages and social media posts promoting the NightVisions Satellite exhibits and other Celebration events.
- Submit your NightVisions Satellite Exhibit application here. A fee of $25 offsets printing costs for the brochure and signs.
What we do:
- Promote your Satellite exhibit throughout the Celebration and Flagstaff Star Party, including through a brochure at Celebration events and through the Coalition’s webpages and social media outreach during the Celebration.
- Promote a sense of art and science within the Flagstaff business community through your gallery’s participation in the NightVisions Satellite exhibits.
- Promote and encourage opportunities for those who are fascinated with or study the night sky to connect with galleries and art that celebrate our connections to the night.